Pancetta is the Italian version of bacon. It is cured with salt and sometimes also with herbs. The pancetta forms a crunchy crust around these mini frittatas and packs them with flavour. Serve the mini frittatas for brunch, as a starter, or as a snack with some drinks.
- 6 eggs
- 24 slices pancetta
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 150 g. crème fraîche or Italian panna
- a small bunch of basil
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Muffin tin (for 12 muffins) or ramekins
- Preheat the oven at 180°C;
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the crème fraiche and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper;
- Tear the basil leaves in small pieces and add it to the egg mixture;
- In a muffin tin, line each mould with two slices of pancetta, one overlaying the other, so that the surface is completely covered;
- Pour the egg mixture into each mould and fill it untill just below the rim
- Bake for 12- 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove from the moulds and serve hot.
- There is no need to grease the muffin tins as the pancetta contains fat that prevents the mixture from sticking to the tin.
- For more variation add vegetables like courgettes, aubergines, mushrooms or tomatoes to the mini frittatas, sliced into small cubes.