There are great variations of orange salads all around the Mediterranean. Some are quite simple and benefit from the specific flavour of a particular type of orange, others offer a well-composed experience of different ingredients. This orange salad falls into the second category. It combines the sweet acidity of oranges with the sharpness of onions, the smoothness of avocado, the bitterness of olives and the zing of mint. Let yourself be surprised!
- 3-4 large oranges
- 1 red onion
- 70 g black olives, pitted
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 red pepper
- 3-4 ripe, firm avocados
- 100 g young broad beans
- 3 tbsp squeezed orange juice
- 8-12 leaves Moroccan mint
- Sea salt
- 8 tbsp Il circolo extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the oranges completely and cut them into thin strips.
- Also cut the onion and peppers into thin strips.
- Slice the fennel and slice the avocados.
- Blanch the broad beans and peel them off. If using tinned beans, wash them and drain well.
- Arrange everything on a platter, drizzle with orange juice and olive oil and sprinkle with mint leaves, salt and pepper.